ROT in the roof and sides

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROT in the roof and sides

Post by jason on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi there, I just discovered roof rot on my 1993 Bonair 1000. The rot is in the roof, roof end and roof sides. I think from reading here it is possible to do myself. How do I get the roof mouldings off of the roof and sides. They seemed to be glued on and if they break where can I get new ones. Thanks a bunch

Jason

jason

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROT in the roof and sides

Post by RickyBoy on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Jason,
you will have to start by removing the canvas, then the weather stripping and you will see some screws. Remove those screws and you will be able to remove the aluminum moldings and then the aluminum flashing.

The size of the side panels are about 3 1/3 inches high and 1/2 inch wide. I used pressure treated wood if I remember correctly.

It is a real simple job, take your time and if you have too note everything and take pictures as you take apart the Bonair.

The whole process took me about a day and a half because I was kind of chicken but when I did my friend's '81 Bonair, it took just three hours so experience is everything here.

Also a good thing to use is PL200 construction glue, that stuff will prevent premature usage by letting piece rub while you are on the road and as a plus it prevents some squeaking too.

Make sure you use the proper silicone when you close everything up, heck I put it on the screws, then the cracked opening left when you put the flashing back on under the molding and then once everything was rebuilt I siliconed both sides of the aluminum stripping !!!

Let me know if you need additional info and have fun with the project, Don't stress too much about the little details, lots of opportunities to cover them up !!! LOL ! Take pictures and bring them here is you can, it would be much appreciated !

Thank for sharing !

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jason on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks Rick, I saw that after the fact. The mouldings are off now and some of the aluminum. I believe 3 sides and most of the roof will have to be replaced. Do you suggest I take the whole roof off the arms to work on it, also, the model is BA1000-93, how many pieces is the roof in, I cant tell under the aluminum roof top.
Thanks,
Jason

jason

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

I had a 93 BA-700 so I'm thinking that they are built pretty much the same aside from yours is bigger so...The roof is an aluminum sheet or two sheets with a grooved in slot in the middle.

If there is rot on the roof part and not just the sides then yes it will be better to take the entire roof off so that you may be able to remove the interior wood paneling with greater ease.

Under that wood paneling you should find spayed foam and either a wooden or aluminum structure and any electrical wiring for your ceiling lights and maybe some more. That panel is glued on there pretty good so get a good putty scraper arm yourself with patience. New panel sheeting is about $20.00 at your local hardware store.
As for the wooden sheet just under the aluminum sheeting, if it's dry and not too rotted, I'd leave it there and start rebuilding. If not, take your time with the aluminum, it's tricky, you can't bend it out of straight at all or else it will be a cosmetic nightmare later.

Roof is kind of like a sandwich from the top down you get:
Aluminum
1/8th wooden panel
box frame ( Pine wood 1x3 or aluminum 1x3)
Foam spray to fill in the voids of box frame
decorative wood panel.

Easy sandwich...Or double stuff Oreo cookie...lmao !

Remember to take pictures, you will need them, memory fails and spare parts are no good !

Let me know if you need anything else !

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top