Complete roof rebuild.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Complete roof rebuild.

Post by RickyBoy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:37 am

This is as complete as I've ever seen:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ve9dt2/BonairTrailerRoofRebuild#

I've done this to my Ba700, unfortunately I never thought that it would be a good idea to take pictures but fortunately for us this guy did a great job doing just that !!!

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Complete roof rebuild.

Post by Jonny Bonair on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 am

Wow - this is unreal! Man I just tore the vinyl off the inside of my BA700 last night and found rot. Looks like I am in for a pile of work....Great resource.

Jonny Bonair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nielsdb on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:42 am

Nice, I love seeing photo essays on other peoples projects. I have followed a few of them and I can't get enough of them.

Thanks for posting it here.

nielsdb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:22 am

Jonny Bonair wrote:Wow - this is unreal! Man I just tore the vinyl off the inside of my BA700 last night and found rot. Looks like I am in for a pile of work....Great resource.

Nice project, take pictures, don't be shy, come back and explain what was done and post them valuable pictures. Hopefully we will eventually have the best place for Bonair information.

Remember, this place is free of cost to me and you, I simply put it together so that we can all have a reference point for all that we need. Share all that you got, stories and all.

Thanks and enjoy that project, I'm a little jealous to tell you the truth ! LOL!

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny Bonair on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Ok - So I do not have any pictures yet but I did get the roof off my BA 700. The lift supports were not damaged but were bent a little. Also, at the bottom of the lift supports the bolts were loose. I think I am going to have to replace them.
Now the roof is off and on the floor next to the trailer - I need to blueprint it and get ready for the roof remodel. - picture to come soon.

Jonny Bonair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Real cool Jonny...I can't wait to see it!!!

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Picture Posting

Post by Jonny Bonair on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:59 am

RickyBoy wrote:Real cool Jonny...I can't wait to see it!!!

I just tries posting picture, but not sure how that works...do I need an account with that server?

Thanks - I got some dosies!

Jonny Bonair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I use PhotoBucket.com.....Easy, free and let's you take the link from there and post it here. Works better than the server here.

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny Bonair on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Here are some pics of the beginning of the reno...

http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy314/Jonny_Bonair/Bonair%20Trailer%20Reno/

Jonny Bonair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nielsdb on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks for posting, I am looking forward to seeing more. The thing that I like about doing projects like this is that it is a good time to go CUSTOM!! Cool Want a vent in the roof? No problem. How about a roof rack? That can be done. What about a small flat screen TV that folds down from the ceiling? Oh Yeah!!

Anyway, thanks again for the post, and keep us up to date on your progress.

nielsdb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny Bonair on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:28 am

My thoughts exactly - I considered solar panels as well. I then started to think about a roof rack etc, but then I got to thinking about the less holes I put in the roof the better - and the lift systems will only carry so much weight...not sure if a roof rack would work? What do you think? I suppose I could strap across with 1/2 inch where I would bolt the racks to the roof...hmmmmm
The vent is definitely in the design. And I like the TV thought:)

Jonny Bonair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Very nice, reminds me a lot of my Bony rebuild.

I am currently rebuilding my class C ....what a project that it...LOL...

Maybe I should start a new section so that I can share that one with you guys !!

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny Bonair on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Yes you should - I might learn something...I am really in the dark with this rebuild - but I am not so nervous now that it is apart and I could see all the pieces...I got the track trim off last night - what a mess - the gunk build up was definitely 40 years old...LOL - nasty stuff!

Jonny Bonair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 pm

Indeed, the shit that accumulates and the stuff we can not see when it's all together is incredible but once apart you can see everything....LOL...It's an easy rebuild, measure twice and cut once, nothing complicated, straight 90 degree cuts.

I have posted two new sections and one of those is about my class C rebuild, slide shows. I will be adding more in the summer, right now it's a mobile garden shed....LOL....

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hello there

Post by t man on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 pm

hello my name is tony i jusy get a ba 700 for free it need a work on the roof and some work on the in side everthing eles work pretty good just wordein how much it cost u to redo your roof in total and how long

t man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyBoy on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 pm

t man wrote:hello my name is tony i jusy get a ba 700 for free it need a work on the roof and some work on the in side everthing eles work pretty good just wordein how much it cost u to redo your roof in total and how long

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

In my case ( Both times) it took a full weekend and cost was under $100.00, I got lucky and most of the roof itself was good. The sides were rotten.

A complete roof I would think that you can manage the cost well under $250.00. Make sure that you use PL200 glue and external high rated caulking, this will save you trouble in the future.

Please feel free to ask any question that you may have and please participate in the forum, share your findings, pictures and stories with us.

Take care.

RickyBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz1 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Just bought a 1977 Bonair 850 yesterday (1st trailer),price seemed good($600) and the canvas is in good shape(rained all night and trailer is dry),floor and frame seem solid,will need to adjust one of the arms to put the roof up so it is level(left front drops about 3").
 Unfortunately after purchase I discovered the sides of the roof seem to be rotten when I pressed the interior finish.After finding this thread I think I am going to tackle building a new roof since the lights are not working either.
 Was wondering the best way to remove the canvas so I can take the roof off?
 What thickness of plywood would you guys recommend for the roof? I'm thinking 1/4" pressure treated and coated with water seal then primed and painted with 5/8's for the sides(roof will be placed ontop of the sides with caulking in between and screwed into place with stainless steel fasteners.
Going to take pics and hope to post a successful job when completed.
Any advice/tips is appreciated.

Kaz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top