cable snapped

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cable snapped

Post by Joust on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:27 am

I snapped a cable putting up my BS1150 today.
I've been looking at how its made, It seems fairly simple to replace. I ahve to source some cable and it seems Home Hardware carries the exact stuff.
so, procedure wise, is it best to replace a cable with the top up? or down.
I think up would be best to do it with the top up.
is there a trick to getting the cable tension right?

Joust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cable snapped

Post by BB on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:46 am

We had a cable problem last year.

The repair was made with the top up since we needed access to the pulley and attachment bolt on the support/raising arm .

To support the corner of the roof while I was working on the cable I used a 2x4 cut to length as support.

I adjusted the cable tension to match the other cable on same side of the trailer.

BB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joust on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 am

I replaced cables on my trailer on the weekend. it was very easy actually.
the toughest part is threading the new cable.
here is the procedure I developed.

1: Start with the top lifted as High as it will go. I used a 2 ton trolley jack and some 2x4's to hold up the broken cable end.
2: I cut the old cable to a clean fresh end. butt the new cable end to end and tape them together. Keep the tape thickness down. it must go through a pulley and a hole in the floor. With a helper pulling and me pushing the new cable, we managed to thread the new cable up through the hole. but, in hindsight, with the top supported you can unscrew the metal channels and lift them off the floor to access the cable hole.
3: extend the two adjuster eyebolts to their longest setting. pull the cable through the side rail and pulleys and through the eyebolt and tension it as tight as you can manage by hand. Clamp with a bolt clamp. (It will most likely have to be moved)
4: lower the roof support. so cables are supporting the roof.
5: crank down the roof so its about 2-3 inches from bottom. measure all around and adjust tensioners to set height.
6: if you don't have enough adjustment. lower the roof onto a 2x4 under the lip. this will remove tension from the cable with a lot of slack so you can adjust as mush as needed. don't cut the cable until you have it set properly. I left 8 inches of cable for future tweeking.

Joust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top